Friday, April 22, 2011

The "Lucha Libre" and All-U-Can-Eat-Tacos

Those that keep up with my FB status know I went home to Lauderdale for an overnight mini biz trip, those that don't....well now you do. I had a blast! Can't believe how much the strip has changed over the years but it is for the better. The skyline was glorious and amidst the towering buildings lay the cornerstones of the infamous "Strip". The outdated, musty, "if these walls could talk" true icons of ghost's of Spring Breaks past, the classic, retro beach hotels. We decided to stay at one of these iconic legends, The "Ocean Holiday Resort". Now for being 50 something years old this place was very clean and must free. i was pleasantly surprised and it was perfect for us as we were not planning on being in the room much anyways. We'll take it!

I got ready and we headed out on a walk to Las Olas for dinner at a happening place we saw on the drive in, "Rocco's Taco's" on Las Olas Blvd. This place looked like a nice, fun family restaurant around 8:30 pm as we drove into town, but upon arriving by foot at 10:30 we found a totally different atmosphere than we expected. Other than the fact the "LIVE DJ" blasting out some really good jams, and when I say blasting I mean really friggin loud music, the place was really aesthetically pleasing. It reminded me of an upscale cantina, only that it played no latin music. The decor was that of dimly lit bar with a "Lucha Libre" back theme. There were 8x10 paintings of comical wrestlers with I Rocca as the local hero. I wish there would have been more of it as it started to tell a story that could have carried through the restaurant. We were seated immediately and our server came to the table and said "HI I'M STAN, I WILL BE YOUR WAITER!!!!!!" as he is competing to the really cool, really loud,  Amy Winehouse "Rehab" mix. He started to yell the specials and I managed to make out $5 Herradura Silver Margaritas. "DOS' ON THE ROCKS, SALT" I scream out the order. He then handed me the menu and pointed at the night's specials. I could tell he really didn't care for the night club in a restaurant atmosphere but he was fun and played along nicely. We noticed that at the table next to us was a server making Guacamole table side. Cool concept and it looked and tasted great. I finally went to take a look at the menu and realized how dark it was in the place and how thankful I was for J bringing his new found flashlight pen so I could read it (memo to self: bring flashlight and earplugs next time I go to Rocco's). So when I finally could get some light on the subject I saw the tempting choices for "ALL-U-CAN-EAT Taco Night $14.99. Beef, Pork, Chicken, Shroom, Shrimp, Blackened Mahi....wait did it say Blackened Mahi, it did and I am all over it. 3 BLACKENED MAHI PLEASE!!!!!!!! So we mixed and matched, J got the shrimp,  I got the Mahi. J got the Shrooms, I got the Mahi, J got the Mahi, I got the Mahi. 6 Blackened Mahi tacos later and the fact that I could not eat anymore. No dessert this time and I really thought I saved enough room for it. Great meal, great fun, great service (speak up please), great prices, my ears rang for an hour after we left but all in all I would for sure go back. The decor was amazing and the food phenomenal.


Rocco's was the closest to the unique flavors I experienced while living in Texas. It was the best Mexican food I have had since moving home to Florida. Personally, I always try to bring a little bit of Texas to my dinner table as the flavors I learned to savour there have become near and dear to my palate. I love this fish taco recipe and I hope you will as well..

Tasty Tastings Everybody!!!!

BLACKENED MAHI MAHI TACOS

2 pounds fresh fish filet-I like mahi mahi because it is mild (we used about .7 lb for 5-6 small tacos)
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon cumin powder
½ teaspoon allepo (or cayenne) flakes
¼ teaspoon ancho powder
1/8 teaspoon coriander
¼ teaspoon sharp paprika powder
¼ teaspoon allspice
Salt and black pepper to taste

  
Cut the fish into small filets or even smaller for more spice.  Dip in spices and either blacken in cast iron pan .   Cook until firm.  It was about 5 minutes in the pan for ume 

Toppings (suggestions)
Mexican Queso Fresco crumbled
1/2 cup cilantro, coarsely chopped

chopped Avocado
Grated Jicama
Diced Tomatoes

10 soft corn tortillas


Chef Sheri's White Hot Sauce 
2 Cups Sour Cream
2 teaspoons of Wasabi powder

juice from a lime
salt/pepper
chipotle chili powder

Directions:
Mix well in your blender. Spoon on Taco's for some extra flavor.


WINE PAIRING
2007 Finca La Linda Torrontés Argentina bottled by Luigi Bosca.  This wine was produced in Argentina and consists of 100% Torrontes grape.  Torrontes is the wonderful and distinctively aromatic signature white grape of Argentina. 

No comments:

Post a Comment