Monday, April 18, 2011

My Soup Kitchen

After a great deal of thought I could not go to sleep tonight without posting one of my favorite specialties Avocado Poblano Soup. This soup pairs well with a nice, crisp, springtime Margerum 2007 Sybarite Sauvignon Blanc and will have you craving more. I prefer the soup warm but as it is a bit too reminisant of guacamole when served cold or at room temp.

Whilst living in Texas i really got to experiment with Tex-Mex flavors and found them to be a favorite to my palate. I was fortunate to have worked for a small boutique winery and was able to pair many of my favorite dishes to the unique taste of Texas wine. I kinda miss those days as it was one of the most interesting hats I have ever worn. Wines made from the French Colombard Grape became my one of my favorite whites and those who know me know I am red all the way. I learned to expand my palate and really take in the sensuality of every bottle opened.

I think I can sleep peacefully now knowing that you now have my favorite soup recipe to make for your very own.

Tasty Tastings Peeps!!!!

Avocado-Poblano Soup

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound poblano chiles, washed, seeded and coarsely chopped (skin on)
2 carrots, washed, peeled and roughly chopped
sweet onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup flour
8 cups fresh chicken stock
2 avocados, halved, seeded and peeled (pebbly-skinned brown-black Hass are preferred)
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 cup heavy cream
salt, to taste
black pepper, to taste



PREPARATION:

Corn tortillas, cut in strips and fried in hot oil, for garnish In a large stock pot, sauté poblanos, carrots and onion in canola oil over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add flour, mix well and sauté for 5 more minutes. Stir occasionally.

Add chicken stock and mix well. Simmer over medium low heat for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and add avocado. Purée with wand blender or in batches in blender. Add cilantro and cream, and blend until thoroughly mixed. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serve warm or chilled. Top with fried corn tortilla strips

No comments:

Post a Comment