Friday, July 8, 2011

"How Sheri Got Her Groove Back, Dexter Morgan and Paella with Real Saffron"






Once again it's 2 am and just me and a glass of Malbec in hand furiously typing away at what may or may not be read. I keep wondering what is going on in my head and heart. I am having the worst time distinguishing reality from fantasy with some of these online chats I am having. Still on the pursuit of Mr. Right I find myself looking in the wrong places. I just need to sit back and let things take ahold instead of worrying myself into a frenzy. I am scared to be alone, there i said it! I admit it! I can't help thinking this ones it, but is he?  I have to question and doubt and talk myself out of it. A friend told me he was looking for his Calypso and I completely get it. I understand that ever longing and yearning to find someone that you can relate to something or someone else and be perfectly happy. But why does it have to be this picture perfect life we all look for. No one ever agrees on everything all the time. Life isn't perfect neither are relationships. The thoughts that have been going through my head are often distorted lately by the BS I get fed by certain people. I just don't get it, okay I just don't get men. They are this complicated beast that will tell you what you want to hear for the most part. Praise you falsely, worship you and leave your heart hanging out to dry. Look folks we are all broken in some fucked up way and we can only fix ourselves and you know what, we will never be perfect. So know I have to find a way to fix myself and be the near perfect person I once was. Yeah right then what fun would I be..?


I chatted with Dexter author Jeff Lindsay earlier on FB and I asked him about his new book in the Dexter series and he told me Dex was either gonna retire or go out and eat and asked me where he could find a place with Paella made with real saffron. Well Jeff I have you covered when you get home because God only knows that I cannot live without sharing the dark passenger we all try to hide so well with you. Yes I love Dexter Morgan, he is the person we all have inside of us but are afraid to unleash on this world for fear of what we might do. We all have a dark passenger living inside our heads. We saw that this week with the Casey Anthony trial. Cmon we all wish we could be the one to pull the switch on the electric chair if she was found guilty..we all have these thoughts of contempt for injustice especially knowing this woman is going to breed again. How many of you sat and thought how they wish they could just tear her apart with your bare hands....I know it wasn't just me. But the difference is unlike the fictional super hero many of us affectionately call Dex, we have control of our deepest darkest feelings of contempt. We live and breath and function in a society in which sometimes that's tough to do. We all strive to make this world a better place in our own unique way and sometimes, yes I wish Dexter Morgan was my boyfriend because I would be proud of his dark passenger. He would go take care of some murderous, disgusting, smug mother and when he got home I would have Paella with real saffron waiting for him when he walked in the door wearing only my chef's apron and a smile. : )

So this is how Sheri is going to get her groove back, by taking chances with her heart, going with her gut feelings and instincts and loving and living life for all it's worth just like saffron threads.

Tonight I am going to share with you my recipe for Paella with real saffron. Living in the Florida Keys I learned the flavor combinations that make things POP and saffron is one of those that make my palate groove. The history of Paella goes back to the lush agriculturally rich Spanish region of Valencia. The true paella recipe will probably never be known as it was basically if it was in season it went into the paella. I use my Floribbean version of paella with real saffron. The sexy threadiness of saffron, like lovers entangled together in this red heat of passion is what makes the flavor of this dish an aphrodisiac delight. So here it is.........tasty tastings everyone!!!

Paella with Real Saffron for Dexter's Delight

Serves: 4 - 6
INGREDIENTS:
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 tsp Salt
½ tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
10 oz wt Chicken Breast, cut ½” cubes
1 cup Yellow Onions, ½ inch diced
1 cup Green Bell Peppers, ½ inch diced
1 Tbsp Fresh Garlic, minced
1 pound Bay Scallops
1 pound Medium Shrimp, peeled and deveined (reserve shells for saffron – shrimp stock - see recipe below)
½ cup Spanish Chorizo pork sausage, cut into medium dice
12 Black Mussels, cleaned and rinsed, beard removed
1 pound Fresh Firm Fish (Mahi Mahi works well) cut into 1” pieces
4 Warm Water lobster tails
4 ½ Cups Saffron – Shrimp Stock (see recipe below)
2 cups Short Grain Rice
½ cup Green Peas, cooked
1 cup Roma Tomatoes, ½ “ diced
PREPARATION:
  1. Season the chicken and seafood with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a large heavy casserole pan then add the seasoned chicken, onions, bell peppers and garlic. Sear until the chicken is lightly browned. Add the scallops, lobster, shrimp, chorizo and sear until the seafood looses its raw appearance.
  2. Then add the mussels, fresh fish and saffron – shrimp stock and bring the stock to a simmer. Add the rice, green peas and tomatoes and using a cook’s spoon stir the rice gently to mix evenly with the rest of the ingredients. Reduce heat to a simmer and top the casserole pan with a lid. Let simmer for about 20 minutes or until the rice is cooked. While the rice is cooking remove the lid to stir the ingredients from time to time to prevent them from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Shrimp Stock: Yield 4 ½ cups
1 Tbsp olive Oil
1 Garlic Clove, minced
¼ cup Yellow Onions, diced ½ inch
¼ cup Carrots, diced ½ inch
¼ cup Celery, diced ½ inch
2 cups Shrimp Shells, from the peeled shrimp
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
1 tsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
1 tsp Saffron
5 cups Water
2 Bay Leaves
5 White Peppercorns
PREPARATION:
  1. Heat the oil in a medium sized pot, then add the garlic, onions, carrots, celery and shrimp shells. Sauté until the vegetables loose their raw appearance and the shrimp shells turn red in color. Add the tomato paste and while constantly stirring with a cook's spoon sauté for 30 seconds.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
  3. Strain the stock trough a fine mesh sieve. Check the yield of the stock you should have 4 ½ cups. Should you have more, return the stock to a clean pot and keep reducing until it yields 4 ½ cups. Should you have less, add water until it yields 4 ½ cups.

2 comments:

  1. It is when we stop looking and begin living life to how we wish to be that "Mr. Right" will smack you right in your face and you begin to enjoy life even more. l take pleasure in reading your posts and am printing this recipe as I type. Can't wait to read your next piece and sample your delicious treats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great article! I love how you use real world events with fictional characters and then end it with the one thing that draws the two together....food. and the recipe sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete